The stomach is a muscular organ that is a part of our digestive system. Whatever we eat food it travels down into our esophagus and into stomach it mixed with acids and enzymes. Many people are diagnosed with the stomach cancer or gastrointestinal tumor. It mostly affects people in their age of 60s to 70s.
Digestive System Diagram (Image Source – Wikipedia.org)
Gastrointestinal tumors impact not just the patients but also the family members, friends and caregivers too. During the gastrointestinal disease treatment by colon and digestive health specialists; family and friends should help out the patient with day to day responsibilities. Give complete physical and emotional support to the patient.
It is very difficult and time consuming job to provide proper care to the patient. It is very easy to isolate from such issues, but if you really want to help your loved one to fight against this life threatening disease then you should spend much time with your loved one.
A care giver should consider following responsibilities:
- Helping patient to get bathe, dressed and medicine on time
- Proper support while visiting doctors
- Managing each and every thing that connects with him
The care giver should also research and gather knowledge about following questions:
- Treatment for Gastrointestinal Cancer or Stomach Cancer?
- What are the complete procedure and the next steps of treatment?
- What medicines can be helpful?
- How to give those medicines?
- What are the related side effects of the treatment?
- How to deal with the side effects?
- How to help patient to feel better during the treatment?
- Doctors, experts or support groups with whom I can consult?
- You should take small breaks. Give a little time to yourself so that you don’t feel alone or isolated.
- If you can’t do something, ask for help. Sometimes, you can’t do everything so just accept it and try to ask for help or hire someone to help you.
- Join any caregiver support groups. It is a platform where you will find many people who are doing the same thing for someone. Take their help and share your experience.
- Take care of yourself too. If you are not healthy then your care can’t be effective.
- Find the best gastrointestinal cancer specialist in Scottsdale, AZ for an effective treatment.