Gastrointestinal cancer or stomach cancer is a secondary tumor that occurs from the lining of stomach. The stomach is a hollow organ in the upper abdomen and it is a part of our digestive system. Food moves from the mouth to the stomach and then it becomes liquid. Our stomach wall has five layers that are: Inner layer or lining, submucosa, muscle layer, subserosa and outer layer or serosa.
If the stomach cancer is detected at the early stage then it can be cured effectively. But it’s unfortunate that the treatment becomes poor if the cancer is discovered at the advanced stage. Diagnosis of cancer at early stage can be life saving. The exact reason or causes of stomach cancers are unknown. There are several factors that increase the risk of cancer in stomach.
Risk Factors of Stomach Cancer:
- It is found that men have more risk of getting stomach cancer than the women.
- Genetic abnormalities increase the chances of stomach cancers.
- It occurs more in old age (65-75 age) people.
- Family history of stomach cancer can also be a cause of gastric cancer as inherited cancer symptoms doubles the risk.
- Abnormal and unhealthy habits like smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, high salted food, preserved foods and lack of nutrition.
- H. pylori or Helicobacter pylori infection of stomach is also a reason of cancer. H. pylori are a bacterium because of which the infection grows in the lining of stomach and causes chronic inflammation.
- Health issues like- chronic gastritis, pernicious anemia, gastric polyps, intestinal metaplasia etc.
These are some of the causes that could result in stomach cancer. But there might be many other reasons that increase the cancer risks. Every disease brings some symptoms at its start. If we can rectify these symptoms and consult with our doctor on time then we can protect us from such diseases.
Stomach cancer when arises it affects our body adversely and that results in health issues. Thus, this is recommended to visit a cancer specialist as soon as possible to get proper treatment in early stage. Cancer specialist like Gordon Grado MD, is the perfect example of a specialized and professional radiation oncologist in Scottsdale who is serving the cancer patients of Arizona, US.
Symptoms of Stomach Cancer:
- Problem in digestion
- Stomach discomfort
- Vomiting after eating
- Appetite loss
- Heart burn
- Problems in the upper and middle part of abdomen
- Blood in vomiting
- Uncontrollable pain in stomach
- Red blood cells deficiency